Summary> If you were to set out on a long, multi-day hike on a pathway that involved many twists and turns and ups and downs, it would be helpful to have any available information from another person who has journeyed on portions of the same trail. Having walked the pathway of the Christian life for nearly six decades, Pastor Randy would like to give fellow journeyers some of his reflections upon the experience. Perhaps the observations and perspectives might help you as you traverse similar terrain upon your Christian life venture.
Overarching Truth: “What God wants from me more than anything else is my total trust, confidence, and rest in Him.”
There are 11 total topics to be covered over the following 9 weeks …
|9/15/19||“Just Sittin’ in the Saddle”||• Statement — 95% of faithfulness is just sitting in the saddle and continuing to ride the horse.
• Theme – endurance / routine faithfulness
|Overview of the life of Abraham / Heb. 11:8-10|
|9/22/19||“Just God is Enough”||• Statement – I never get anything I really desire until I come to decide that my life in God without that thing is sufficient.
• Theme – the sufficiency of a relationship with God over successes and material things.
|David’s unfulfilled desire to build the temple – 1 Chronicles 28-29|
|9/29/19||“An Honest Look into the Mirror”||• Statement – If I had not become so aware of the extent of my sin, as well as God’s grace and forgiveness, I might be inclined toward an excess of self-righteous.
• Theme – an appreciation of grace, leading toward sincere humility
|Luke 18:9-14 / 1 Timothy 1:12-13ff.
|10/6/19||“The Grand Scheme of Things”||• Statement – God has things happen to me so that things can happen in me so that things can eventually happen through me.
• Theme – God’s master plan of orchestrating the events of our lives
|Philippians Chapter 1|
|10/13/19||“Torched Dreams and Empty Hands”||• Statement – God tends to burn my dreams in front of me before giving them back to me the way He desires them to be expressed.
• Theme – trusting God through disappointments and periods of waiting
|Abraham/Isaac story / Hebrews 11:17-19 / John 12:23-26 / 1 Corinthians 15:35ff.
|10/20/19||“No Pain, No Gain”||• Statement – My greatest times of growth follow my greatest times of pain.
• Theme – difficult times become the seed bed for spiritual growth
|2 Corinthians 12:7-12
|“No Way to Avoid Getting Shot”||• Statement – When I am engaged in an active life of obedience and service, I am sure to be criticized, condemned and run over by some number of other people.
• Theme – the inevitability of conflict, criticism and hardships – even from Christians
|2 Corinthians 10 / 1 Peter 2:18-25
|10/27/19||“You’ve Gotta, Gotta Love”||• Statement – Love is a verb from the head more than a noun from the heart.
• Theme – the responsibility to love others, apart from natural attractions
|1 Corinthians 13 / 1 Peter 4:7-11 / Ephesians
|“Getting Comes from Giving”||• Statement – God is the best bookkeeper ever; and having given us gifts and resources – all that we have – He will be faithful to reward us for using these for others, after the model of Christ.
• Theme – It is a Christian life principle that those who give the most, relatively speaking, tend to get the most in return.
|Hebrews 6:10; 13:16 / 2 Corinthians 9:6ff.|
|11/3/19||“Nowhere Else to Go”||• Statement – Though I may be tempted to trust in resources other than God for hope and help, they do not ultimately exist.
• Theme – God is all we have and all we need.
|11/10/19||“Life is Long; Life is Short”||• Statement – There is wisdom in consciously numbering our days so that we may live a productive life for God’s glory.
• Theme – At the same time, our lives are in various ways both very long and very short.
|Psalm 90; Ecclesiastes|